Your teen struggles with the pressures of school. It seems like they have trouble coping with stress.
They’re often irritable and seem down.
You wonder if they have low self-esteem.
They act out impulsively like they don’t consider the consequences.
Your teen’s behavior is the center of family fights.
The teenage years can be overwhelming.
During the teenage years, lots of changes occur. Sometimes these changes can be physical, mental, or emotional. Teenagers are still developing and discovering who they are. Consequently, handling these stressors and changes of life can be difficult. Additionally, things going on in the world outside their bubble can also affect teens. Sometimes, things you would never guess they would care about.
It’s not a phase, mom.
Other signs that your teen could benefit from teen counseling:
- Feeling irritable, crabby, or have mood changes
- Wanting to be alone
- Seeming uninterested or withdrawal
- Having a hard time falling or staying asleep
- Showing behavior changes at home or school
- Starting fighting or having arguments with peers
- Hurting themselves
- Getting lower grades
As a parent, you want to help your teen.
Teen Counseling Can Help.
Teen counselors can build connections in counseling. Teens can feel supported, learn new tools, and gain confidence.
Teen counselors are made for this. They have the training and experience for your child.
In teen counseling with Melissa Barton, your teen will:
- Learn to identify emotions. They’ll learn how and when to express them
- Add tools to their utility belt. They’ll create coping skills they can use when they feel stressed, anxious, angry, or sad. The goal is for them to use these “tools” when they need them.
- Practice making healthy decisions. We’re talking about more than just eating their fruits and vegetables.
- Learn how to solve a fight or disagreement. We all know that confrontation can be scary. Furthermore, we want to set them up for success.
- Develop healthier relationships with family and friends. This could be learning how to say ‘no’ to something they don’t want to do. Additionally, they’ll learn how to ask for what they need.
- Start to feel good about themselves. The goal is for them to see the great things you see in them.
- Learn how to make better choices. Also, understand the ‘why’ behind these choices.
- Feel happier and better about their life! Because that’s the goal, right?
How You Can Help
Parents play a big role in counseling for teens. Melissa Barton at Barton Counseling Services wants to keep you in the loop. She wants you to know what’s going on with your teen while still respecting their privacy. She wants you both to feel comfortable and educated about the process.
Melissa’s Approach to Teen Counseling in Katy, TX
Melissa utilizes an individualized approach that assesses the needs of each teen and family. Her approach can include cognitive-behavioral therapy, family therapy, and mindfulness training. She understands the importance of your teen’s mental health.
Cognitive Behavioral Therapy
In cognitive-behavioral therapy, Melissa and your teen will discuss your teen’s thoughts. They’ll see what’s helpful and what’s not. From there, they’ll learn how to change unhelpful thoughts.
Start Teen Counseling in Katy, Texas
Contact us and schedule an appointment.
Get to know your new teen counselor, Melissa.
Watch as your teen blossoms.